Monday, August 1, 2016

Lammas Beer Bread

Blessed Lammas for those of you who celebrate!

I have been a little busy around the Terrestrials home base lately but I know I had to post a bread recipe for Loaf-mass! So, for others out there who are just as busy, this is a SUPER EASY bread to make and even people who are "bad at baking" can pull this one off!

I got this recipe from watching Sara's Weeknight Meals on Create TV. I was relaxing with a nursing Pumpkin and watching tv with my husband's grandmother when the recipe was shown and it was one of those "I gotta try that!!!"
Plus, my mother in law had just bought a breadbasket and what better way to christen the piece than to put some bread in it! Right?

Beer Bread Recipe

from Sara's Weeknght Meals
Makes 4 Servings
Hands-On Time: 10 Minutes
Total Preparation Time: 30 to 35 Minutes

  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • One 12-ounce bottle good-quality beer
For my beer choice I used Monk's Mistress special dark ale by Midnight Sun Brewing Company. The company best describes the beer: "intense flavors inspired the concept of a monk that seeks solace and satisfaction from the sensory pleasure and mind-provoking effects of this liquid temptress." 
I tasted it and thought it might taste good in bread because of its heavy, yeasty flavor.


  1. Place an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the butter in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or pan and set it in the oven while the oven is preheating.
  2. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the beer until it is just incorporated. (The dough will be sticky and heavy.)
  3. Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter out of the pan into a cup; tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides with the remaining butter. Spoon the bread dough into the pan and spread evenly; drizzle the 6 tablespoons melted butter over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bumpy top is golden brown.
  4. Remove the bread from the oven to a cooling rack; cut the bread into rectangles and serve warm.
My bread came out a lil bit crumbly and didn't stand up to being cut so much as broken apart. Also, the beer taste was strong and while I enjoyed it, some family members thought it was too strong and would prefer a lighter beer used next time. That being said, it was delicious and would be particularly tasty with bbq, chili, and other savory, spicy meals. 
Note: no alcohol is left in the bread after baking so feel free to serve to your wee ones with adventurous pallets. 

Midnight Sun Brewing Company is a local company that brews craft beers, serves some tasty fare, and gives to charities. I'm a particular sucker for their artwork on their bottles as well as their distinct flavors. 

*I was not paid for posting this recipe or recommending this beer. This recipe is not mine, I just enjoyed making it. 
I hope everyone enjoys and is inspired to bake some easy bread this Lammas season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment