Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hair Wrapping Discrimination

As many of you have seen from pictures I've posted, I wrap my head/hair in what is called a tichel (a traditional Jewish hair wrap) for personal reasons that I won't go into here. I know many women who wrap their hair for various reasons ranging from hair care to religious beliefs to energy healing and protection. These woman are just as varied in their cultural backgrounds and skin color.

What I think is great about hair wrapping is that it is something that we can share and that brings us together. On boards and forums and groups we share wrapping techniques, scarf sales, tutorials, and more. Another thing we share is stories of discrimination and attacks (verbal and physical, passive and confrontational) that many of us have gone through or are going through. One story of attack has just hit the media and I wanted to share and put in my two cents.

June Rivas dealt with discrimination at her work place where her boss told her she could not wear a hair wrap despite no dress code being put in place at the time. She reported the issue and shared her experience on Facebook where it was then picked up by various online media.


While June's experience isn't unique (sadly) the way she handled it was - she complied with the dress code in a very unique way...COSPLAY! I was so impressed by this. My favorite of her outfits was Zoe from Firefly. 
I do not know yet what the outcome of the discrimination report or how her boss has reacted to this fantastic show of rebellion (If you find a source, please share). 
I wanted to share this story because this is not just June's problem, or a black woman's problem. 

This is a problem for every woman who wears a "cultural head wrap." 

This is my problem and the problem my friends share and must stand against for our own rights of religious and cultural expression. 
If you or someone you know is undergoing discrimination because of this or similar dress, please stand up for yourself and your sisters. Do so peacefully, with flare if you can. ^_^

Share your solidarity and how you wrap with #hairwrapsisters on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment