Sunday, October 2, 2016

Happy Preptober and the Impending NaNoWriMo



Hello Darlings,

I wanted to let you know that if you follow me on Twitter @TerrestrialsAK, that you might find some very different content through October and November than my usual pagan, parenting, breastfeeding, natural living, and spirituality posts.
You see, I am one of those strange and somewhat masochistic writers who participates in National Novel Writing Month in November.
Image result for nanowrimo

What is National Novel Writing Month? 

NaNoWriMo is a challenge for fiction writers to complete a first draft of a novel in one month's time. To be specific, its writing 50,000 words in 30 days.


Why Do I Participate?

I do more than write articles and nonfiction. I am a lover of fiction as well and have a couple of manuscripts sitting on my shelf, waiting editing and attention. The majority of the year I focus on nonfiction because that is my calling, my purpose, to get information out there to women and mothers that helps them connect to their spirituality and to nature to be better for their families and their communities.
Writing fiction is part of my self care. Its where I can live in my day dreams, in my other worlds and where I can share stories without worrying if its going to help anyone do anything but enjoy a moment of entertainment.

Does this mean Terrestrials will be All NaNoWriMo now?

No, I have some great blog content scheduled to come your way this fall season and posting about #WitchyReadathon this October. I will also still be sharing some spiritual and parenting tweets over @TerrestrialsAK. However, if you do follow my Twitter or chance to see me offline, expect to see a lot of fiction writing discussion and following hashtags
#NaNoWriMo
#nanoprep
#Preptober
#wordprompts
#needcoffee
#wordcount
#wordsprint
#needsleep
#amwriting
and more...


Can You Participate?

Of Course!
Do you have a novel that you'd like to write?
Go to www.NaNoWriMo.org and sign up to join.
Not only do they have a place for you to post your novel title and cover (and synopsis, excerpt etc) but also areas to update your word count, forums, and they email you letters of encouragement, how-to's, worksheets, etc.

Here are some other links that can help you out:

Rachael Stephen has a l whole ebook to help you out as well as a Preptober Calendar
Novel.ai - this is a new one for me but I'm enjoying it so far. Its an online platform for you to load your character info, world building, and more.

Twitter, of course. Everything from Word Sprints to Writing Prompts to commiserating over the need to get just a few hundred more words written before end of day. Encouragement and suggestions can all be found here using some of the hashtags I've previously mentioned.

Chatzy - this is my second favorite online hangout for NaNoWriMo. I love the discussions that go on here, especially when everyone is sleep deprived, haha.

I also recommend checking out some authors and writers who participate on Twitter, the NaNoWriMo site, and through a search engine. Many of these writers blog about their preparations and experiences, which can be very helpful and inspiring.

If you are participating, feel free to be one of my buddies on the NaNoWriMo site - my name is DPhryxus.

If you are NOT participating, know that my tweets and everything will be back to normal at the beginning of December, just in time to talk about Yule season. Please feel free to check back here or on Facebook for my regular posting in the mean time.

Literary Blessings
December

No comments:

Post a Comment